Saturday, September 13, 2008

This Has (Almost) Nothing To Do With Taiwan

I hereby declare that if John McCain and the scary woman* are elected...

(dramatic pause)

...I will not return to the USA for any purpose other than a visit until they are gone.

It's just....I mean...I'm so...I totally...受不了 their platforms, policies and personalities. Ugh. They're just as bad, if not worse, than George W. Bush. I could go into detail as to why, but..何苦呢?

*I don't say that to be sexist. I'm a woman after all, and one of those latte-swilling university-age-protesting urban liberal feminist women at that. It's not me, it's her. She pretends to represent the average American woman, and yet she wants to take away our right to choose - and would probably love the chance to force us all to turn Christian. I don't like her beliefs or platforms, and on top of that I don't like her as a public persona.

I may not like President Ma over here, but I get the feeling that he's trying, in his own totally wrong way, to do his best by Taiwan. It's really the KMT that turns me off; Ma as a person is sort of acceptable. The only platform of his that I truly disagree with is of course the big one - Cross-Strait relations. Some of his changes in Taipei have been fantastic; he sponsored the Maokong Gondola and I do like those executive bus lanes.

So, hmm. We were planning to stay for another few years while I perfected my Chinese/got a Master's degree and we both built more corporate training experience (yeehaw). Interesting to think that the earliest possible return-home date could be four years away. Or - Heaven forfend those zealots actually get elected twice - eight years.

It's OK though. I love Taiwan and truly can envision this damp, green island as my home for the next eight years. Fortunately, Brendan feels the same way.

1 comment:

虎斑狗 said...

"executive bus lanes"? That's what you call the bus-only lanes? They're implemented by Chen Shui-Bien when he was the mayor of Taipei city... I'm 100% sure, cuz I lived on Ren-Ai road during those years when those bus lanes were constructed.