Thursday, August 30, 2012

Republican Mouthpiece or Game of Thrones Character?

And now for a super fun game! Below I've compiled a few quotes from my reading of A Song of Ice and Fire, as well as a few quotes from Republican politicians and conservative mouthpieces. You, good reader, get to decide which come from Song of Ice and Fire (better known as A Game of Thrones), and which come from Republicans.

Many of these will be easy because of the style of speech, or use of specific words (such as "feminism"). I believe this actually proves my point - the style of speech is different, but the content is the same. If I had gone through and edited them all so that all of the quotes sounded neither too modern nor too Medieval, you'd have a much harder time of it. I only made one change: "the gods" was changed to "God", because I do believe that proves a point.

Either way, enjoy!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I lived something similar to that with my own family. She chose life, and I commend her for that. She knew my views. But, fortunately for me, I didn’t have to ... she chose they way I thought. No don’t get me wrong, it wasn’t rape." "Similar how?" "Having a baby out of wedlock." "That’s similar to rape?" "No, no, no, but … put yourself in a father’s situation, yes. It is similar."

“I was talking about men’s emotional issues; not women. I mean, there’s a lot of issues. That’s just one of them. So my concern is being in combat in that situation instead of being focused on the mission, they may be more concerned with protecting someone who may be in a vulnerable position, a woman in a vulnerable position.”

"Feminism encourages women to leave their husbands, kill their children [and] practice witchcraft."

"A man fights his wars on the field. A woman's fight is in the birthing bed."

"Women," he complained. "The way they wail...I had me a fat sow once birthed a litter eight with no more'n a grunt."

"Sons come before daughters."

"I have to say I'm all for public flogging."

“You can say I’m a hater. But I would argue I’m a lover. I’m a lover of traditional families and of the right of children to have a mother and father."

"[She] essentially says that she must be paid to have sex -- what does that make her? It makes her a slut, right? It makes her a prostitute."

“Life gives us many experiences…I’ve had the experience of delivering calves, dead and alive. Delivering pigs, dead or alive. And I want to tell you...it breaks our hearts to see those animals not make it.”

"At least I don't plaster on makeup like a trollop, you cunt."


"Well, the poor pitiful women...are just going to start doing them at home.' That's what we've heard over and over...but hey, you have to have moral values."
"Or perhaps I could make a bargain with the next lot of outlaws and let them slit that thick neck of yours, wench."

"God made men to fight, and women to bear children."

"She comes to me when she wants to be fed. And after I feed her -- guess what -- she's off to wherever she wants to be in the house, until the next time she gets hungry. She's smart enough to know she can't feed herself. She's actually a very smart cat. She gets loved. She gets adoration. She gets petted. She gets fed. And she doesn't have to do anything for it, which is why I say this cat's taught me more about women, than anything my whole life."

"If it was a legitimate rape, the female body has ways to try and shut that whole thing down."

"...and honorable men. The blame is yours." "I did nought to encourage them." "Your being here encouraged them."

"A woman impregnated through rape should accept that horribly created gift, the gift of human life...make the best of a bad situation."

"If you have any regard for your virtue...you will...return home, and beg your father to find a husband for you."

"A few years ago I had a young men come to me in our store...we were debating, talking about dog and hog hunting I believe, and the young men called me to the side and he said 'I want to tell you one thing...you tell those folks down there when they quit killing babies, they can have every chicken I've got."



No comments: